Saturday, May 12, 2012

Impressed and entertained Distant Thunder by TD Griggs

I so enjoyed reading this book in bed this morning and it was such a treat to finish it - I was gripped to the last page and I was so impressed - it was not the obvious cheesy ending although it was heading there fast - but there was a stunning twist in the tail of the tale and I was genuinely satisfied ... and there could be a sequel! This was a very interesting book - and probably not one I would have chosen by topic - the Empire, colonial trade and wars, and class differences are not really my thing - they are what made this country great but I don't think they are so relevant anymore. Needless to say, I was gripped by the power of the people and the diversity of settings. Frank Gray got me in - he was seriously flawed or maybe damaged by being in the wrong place at the right time and it seems this haunted him way beyond what seemed reasonable - but then probably that is quite realistic. Grace Dearborn was a believable bolshy rich girl who really did seem to be able to survive on her own. She played the romantic to its logical conclusion and I was pleased that finally I saw a pragmatic compromise. These two great characters also played in some great places, London, country England, Bangalore, Vienna and the Sudan. There was sufficient detail to go along with them without it being a tourist guidebook - and I realised the author T D Griggs knew his history and geography well. I am not sure that I would call this a historical romance because it was slightly deeper and more challenging than that - but not as complex as a classic thriller. Nevertheless, I would recommend this for the summer holiday.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sharon! So glad you enjoyed it and I hope all your friends do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your next book... Will it be a sequel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I forget to answer this, Sharon? Sorry! Yes, there's to be a sequel, and I'm on it now. BTW did you try my other most recent book THE WARNING BELL, under pen-name Tom Macaulay? You might enjoy that, too. And do you have any interest in a guest blog from me on local colour/travel in historical writing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. no problems, I will look up the book you suggest - I have been reading heavily professionally recently and do need a change of pace!I would love to host a guest blog - please advise me about how to do this? perhaps I need to try and boost my followers also? any ideas?

    ReplyDelete