Tuesday, April 15, 2014

waiting for the real Jesse Eisenberg in The Double

The trailer seemed interesting; suggesting that The Double might have been an alter ego or the dark shadow self. There was a mention that the director Richard Ayoade adapted the script from an 1846 Dostoyevsky novella. There were moments when it seemed that the timid and isolated Simon James would be recognised for the work he did, rather than the confident and charismatic James Simon. Perhaps he would even reconnect with the woman of his dreams. But I was disappointed at the lack of real depth, and by then end I had lost track with which one was which - and then it seemed that it did not really matter. What made the film interesting was the bleak and tongue-in-cheek industrial and bureaucratic work place. But in the end I agree with the Director, in his summary at the Toronto premiere "I can't recommend it, but I'm happy it exists".

No comments:

Post a Comment