Sunday, August 26, 2012

creating mixed media designs at West Dean

I impulsively decided to treat myself to an artist retreat in the idyllic oasis of West Dean College, West Sussex. I chose to spend 3 days learning about mixed media techniques - a combination of using colour, style and texture in a range of painting, printing, stencilling and collage techniques. There were 11 other very capable and prolific artists learning with me, from an impressive Oxford artist, Jo Dixon. Jo is a patient and intuitive teacher - she taught us some new techniques each day, to play and experiment with. We all tried out some new strategies and experimented with our individual colour pallete and artistic themes - and by the last day, our self- contained Orangery studio was full of colour, texture, design and creativity. I was so inspired that I created some amazing new work.
Each day, we enjoyed long lunches of freshly prepared food, and afterwards, I enjoyed exploring the extensive walled gardens, with their floral and fruit medleys. The gardens were meticulously arranged, both inside the traditional greenhouses, and outside in the geometric garden. I quickly realised that I was the only newbie in our class, all others were regulars to this wonderful place and its selection of over 300 short courses per year. There was an exhibition of Julie Collin's mixed media work and I think she will be the drawcard for me to come back...

No comments:

Post a Comment