Monday, May 26, 2014

Appreciating art in Oxford

I love the annual Art Weeks in and around Oxford, where artists open their houses and group together to display their work, so we can visit, appreciate, discuss, learn and invest. It is such an honour to see inside homes of creative people and their families, to appreciate their skills and insights and to learn about what has inspired and maintained them. Several years ago, I was impressed by the silver jewellery of Becky Morgans - and I first bought a series of flat silver bracelets and it took me a few years to buy one of her classic rings - a luminescent green piece of sea glass encased in chunky silver. Later I also invested in the creative genius of Lucy Poulson, for an complementary flat interlinked silver chained bracelet.
Sadly, I cannot invest in everyone I love and I have been watching the amazing wirework of Rachel Ducker. I also was greatly tempted by Bridget William's pottery; using simple designs in blue for functional kitchen objects and creating some amazing angular vases. I was inspired by Susan Moxley's new paintings with block of blues and greys.
This year I have continued my jewellery theme and have chosen the amazing silver work of Claire Acworth. She lives on a beautiful barge on the Thames and makes jewellery beside her kitchen sink. I was appreciative that she could create small topaz and tourmaline rings for my little fnger, separated by a textured single silver band.
I was also impressed by Tess Blenkinsop, particularly the brightly coloured bracelets and earrings that she has done for Tate Modern. I was impressed by Zoe's home workshop where she teaches in small groups. I have set a goal to make a silver necklace, perhaps over the winter months? I loved visiting the most stylish Guen Palmer to see the amazing ways she has brought stones together with shiny and patterned silver and gold. One day, I will buy something else to complement the small ring I bought several years ago! Yesterday, I made my final purchase of an amazing agate and aluminium necklace and bracelet created by Ann Collinson. It is so much fun to dream of being an artist and to support those who are living their dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment