Sunday, May 19, 2013

Moulin Gatsby - a dichotomy of disillusion

As a self-confessed Baz Luhrmann fan, I was expecting the fabulously extravagant together with a deep enduring message. It was probably lucky that I have not read F Scott Fitzgerald's book, as I was confused and disappointed as I left the cinema. While I had been truly entertained by the amazing set, scenery and music, I was unable to summarise any message of meaning after watching the Great Gatsby. In retrospect, I realise that I have since been haunted by a series of contradictions. The underlying message of the disillusion of wealth was contrasted by indulgent happiness. Leonardo di Caprio played the sensitive, self-made Jay Gatsby who tried to win back his previous love with parties and possessions. Yet, the subtlety of this scenario was lost in the superficial and two dimensional acting. Perhaps the lack of emotional connection was part of the point? Further, while the narrator was the most developed character, he was really only describing his memories as a therapeutic strategy to manage his depression and alcoholism. Can it be that 1920's nostalgic jazz extravagence can overshadow the nihilism of wealth, luxury and hedonism?

No comments:

Post a Comment