Monday, May 27, 2013

Pop art is fun ART

I remember Lichtenstein rip offs being popular during my high school days - my favourite always was "honey, I've left the baby on the bus". So I was keen to visit on the second last day of the superb show at Tate Modern. There were 125 mostly large and colourful paintings and sculptures, brought together by The Art Institute of Chicago and Tate Modern. They told us that us that Lichtenstein is renowned for his works based on comic strips and advertising imagery, yet his art was so much more than advertising. Ok he used coloured hand-painted Benday dots, but he also used stripes and other repetitive designs. He drew with simplicity and used lots of clear prime colours and he paradied, with respect, art by Picasso and Matisse. I was impressed at how talented he was as a painter and how skilled his perspective on life was conveyed, often with tongue in cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment