Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Insights from ...An Astronaut's guide to life on earth

Can't say I ever wanted to be an astronaut - I do have some sense of reality! So I was surprised to received a signed copy of Chris Hadfield's book “An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth” for Christmas, and to learn that he had been in Oxford signing books and engaging with those who bought them! I had enjoyed his Space Oddity youtube video, but had somehow been put off by his super clean American style moustache - although sorry to admit he is really the first Canadian astronaut, who has spent over four thousand hours in orbit, mostly on the International Space Station. Later I realised and enjoyed his short videos of the quirkiness of life in space. So I was very taken by his book - a combination of pure space education and life inspiration. It was a welcome contrast to the ever-so-common propaganda that you can vision anything and if you try hard enough you will realise your dreams, superficial rubbish. He emphasised the need to practice and prepare, even at the smallest level of detail. It seems that in space there are no second chances, so it must be absolutely correct the first time, and in fact, you must actively prepare for the long lists of what could possible go wrong. I am glad that in my life I don't have to drill to that detail, but recognise that it might be helpful if I prepare more positively for some of the big challenges ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment