Sunday, December 11, 2011

Magritt: a voyage of discovery at the Albertina in Vienna


I had not seen a lot of his art and my pre-conceptions were of a quirky Belgian. I was able to appreciate his colour and design but I don't think I always got his message. So it was with a genuine enthusiasm that we visited the Albertina again, in Vienna.
250 paintings later I have a deep respect for this man and his experiments with psychology and philosophy. He is able to draw ideas, sometimes directly and sometimes through contrasts.
His classic painting "this is not a pipe" in French and English were a subtle reminder that what he painted looked like a pipe but it was not a real pipe that could be smoked - so he was not lying!
He challenges our assumptions, tries to capture our shadow self and uses clouds as universal symbols- again I know they capture a point in time, but can any painter really draw a real sky before it changes?
I loved his surreal images; portraits without faces, night and day combinations, large bird cut outs of clouds above oceans..
I am inspired to learn and understand more about this man and the surrealist movement...

No comments:

Post a Comment