Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cycling in the mountains

I was never that sure about cycling in the mountains - the roads just seemed to curl up forever and I could not imagine the enjoyment in this... Several years ago I did try some small ascents along the coast and found these easier than I expected - but I did get a bit nervous flying down hill and was keen to keep slow and in control - maybe it is about knowing and understanding my bike... Anyway this time I decided that it was time to try it - the challenge was that once I cycled downhill from Poggialto there was only one way back up and I knew this would be tough at the end of whatever else I had done...
So we started our first ride by parking the car somewhat down the valley in Chiusavecchia. From there it was upwards through 3 small villages; first of all Gazzelli, then Chiusanico and finally to Torria. This was a great start because the road actually levelled out in each village and I was able to stop and take a few quick shots. And then the next day we decioded to start in Poggialto at 550m. I was determined to enjoy the views as I headed downhill - I seemed to be more comfortable and confident on my bike and although I tried to use the low handle bars these did not feel at all comfortable - so I persisted with braking with my fingers and I did suffer a few pains in the base of my thumb!
We headed downhill to San Lazzaro Reale at 150m and then retraced our downhill steps from the previous day. We headed up towards the Colle San Bartolomeo at 615m via Cesio - once up there it was just a gentle climb. I found similarities to running and the need to find my rhythm that was sustainable - the big breakthrough for me was learning to sit back on my saddle and use my gluteal muscles to propel me up - these muscles seem to be particularly lazy for me as I have found out in my pilates class - but on these hills there was no choice - so with so much muscle power to activate I was able to keep climbing while chatting... in fact I surprised myself at how easy it really was. And the views were continually stunning - small villages clinging to ridges, occasional glimpses of the sea and olive trees everywhere...
So when it came to cycling down to Aurigo, I calculated that I had climbed almost 650m - we then had to drop almost 400m and climb back another 120m to Poggialto - but it was a good feeling making it back 'home'. So much so, that I agreed to do it all again - going up a different valley this time - starting at Candeasco at 250m and cycling through Caravonica - 100m less in climb but quite a bit steeper and the second time I cycled back up into Poggialto, I was able to strangely enjoy cycling so close to the olive trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment