Monday, January 9, 2012

Silence is art in The Artist

When a film has consistently received rave reviews and is sold out on Sunday night in Oxford, it really does suggest something special. Having never seen a complete silent movie, I was open to a new experience - although I did not realise at the outset that so much of the movie, The Artist, would really be silent, and it would all be shot in black and white. Somehow it was like the opposite of the sensory overload of opera and I was able to totally relax and enjoy the experience, without having to think about words or meaning. I even gave up trying to lip read - trusting that the important text would be summarised for me. And seeing the movie in black and white enabled me to better appreciate the shadows and textures. I could experience the real beauty and charisma of 1920's style and fashion - somewhat more universal for men but totally stunning for women - I loved the short curls, head hugging bonnets, long skirts and slender heels. The romance happened almost by surprise, as did the tragic turn of events. So it was the ultimate challenge of personal pride and commitment to another, played out across time. Words were not necessary as emotions were rife. The tension was real and occasionally punctuated by the humorous antics of the rather cute little dog, Uggie. So, at the end of the day, I must agree that silence can accentuate the art of acting. It was a pleasant retreat to enjoy the simplicity of a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment