Sunday, December 30, 2012

boosting my creativity with The Element

The subtitle of Ken Robinson's book inspired my purchase - How finding your passion changes everything. It was an impulsive airport buy, but within two weeks, I had watched both of Ken Robinson's TED talks - one in 2006 and the other in 2010. This man has an academic and a consulting background and he moved from England to live in Los Angeles around 8 years ago! I think knowing something of the author helped me to better appreciate this book. It does also span self help and popular academic publishing. Ken proposes early on, that current education systems are similar to fast food in that they produce undifferentiated education that does not necessarily inspire passion or develop creativity. He supports this argument with a range of interviews of highly successful people like Paul McCartney, Richard Branson and many others - education failed them! So he then proposes a series of steps to promote individual creativity through similarities he has identified in the creative success stories he documents. It makes sense to think differently to identify a core passion. He describes needing to find your tribe, asking for help and getting started - it is never too late. It was an enjoyable read, and I hope has started me thinking about my passion for writing in a different way...

No comments:

Post a Comment