Friday, December 21, 2012

winter walking in Yosemite

I drove in to Yosemite over snowy and icy roads - and began with enjoying my classic panorama from Tunnel View - it really highlights El Capitan on the left, Half Dome in the middle and the bridal veil falls on the right, with a massive valley and so much more in between! Today was cloudy, there was a weather warning for an afternoon storm, which likely would indicate a significant snowfall.
So I decided to check out the walking paths on the way up to the base of Bridal Veil falls - it is amazing how there is falling water amidst ice falls. Every few minutes you could hear a chunk of ice falling - just like the glaciers in the Khumbu region of Everest! Feeling confident about the state of the roads and walking paths, I set out to walk up to Mirror lake - at the end of the valley. It was a luxury to be able to drive so freely in the valley - the roads were heavily gritted, but not icy, given it was now a few degrees above zero (or at least 33' according to my car's temperature gauge).
It was an easy walk up by Tenaya creek to the manmade Mirror lake - and it was such an impressive reward. The giant vertical face of Half Dome loomed omniscent on my right - and the classicly shaped North Dome on the left. It was fun to explore this lake, and wonder why parts were totally frozen and others still liquid - guess the flowing stream is a reason for some liquidity!
So my final walk for the day, was the first half mile of the Mist Trail - heading up towards the Vernall Falls. The rain was holding out, so I could keep walking. This is a major trail, that heads straight up, with views of frozen mountains and snowy gullies at every turn. I crossed the first bridge, but could not get up to the Vernall Falls, as the path was closed for winter! So I had to enjoy the snowy rocks in the creek and head back to my car. There was time before sunset, the storm and the onset of freezing roads to enjoy a coffee before the drive back to my motel room...

No comments:

Post a Comment