Friday, December 21, 2012

Tomorrow, when the war began - reading 'Australian'

Julie and Donovan gave me this book for Christmas. They commented on the different sort of english used by the australian teenagers. I barely believed it until I started reading - there is a glossary, but that is hardly enough - there is a unique langauge represented here, that is definitely based on english. This is the first of a seven-book long series and it has been made into a film, and I am very captivated already! Seven teenagers are caught out in a world that has been turned upside down and they are faced with the challenge of trying to save their parents! It sensitively and honestly explores themes of courage, maturity and emotional intelligence, amidst the australian bush. John Marsden writes to engage, but in a colloquial way. It reminds me of growing up in Australia!

No comments:

Post a Comment