Saturday, December 15, 2012

Modern art in downtown LA

I decided to take advantage of free Thursday nights at MOCA - the Museum of Contemporary Art - thanks to the sponsorship of Wells Fargo! I started at the Grand Avenue gallery, almost opposite the very curvy Walt Disney Concert Hall. It was great fun to see a room of Rothko paintings and a larger than life Giacometti couple. I then walked through the Destroy the Picture exhibition. Initially, I was looking for the aesthetics, but I was confused - there was not much to engage me - so I looked for the significance - apparently it was about the motivation and the process of painting! Then I decided to walk 8 blocks downtown, along 1st Street and through Little Tokyo to the Geffen Contemporary at MOCA on Central Avenue. There had been a transformation of an old warehouse. The major exhibition Blues for Smoke was a mixed bag of paintings, installations, movies, tapes about blues music and something about the lives of black Africans in America. I found the exhibition by Taryn Simon - A living man declared dead a little more accessible - but still rather challenging - not sure about her choice of families to document members in fairly dour portraits, but there is something obsessive about the photographs of rabbits from Inglewood in Queensland!

No comments:

Post a Comment